Thursday, March 01, 2007

Books: the top 100

I can scarcely believe this ranking! Six of the top 11 written by women. The Guardian opines that many of the most loved were introduced in school: but the only novel by a woman I was "taught" was "Mill On the Floss" in 11th grade-- and I figured that one slipped through because the author's name was "George". As a college English major 1958-66 (I took time out to have a baby) I wasn't assigned a single female novelist in survey courses. I was assigned the Orwell and Dickens.


Books you can't live without:
Thursday March 1, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

1 Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen
2 The Lord of the Rings JRR Tolkien
3 Jane Eyre Charlotte Bronte
4 Harry Potter series JK Rowling
5 To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee
6 The Bible
7 Wuthering Heights Emily Bronte
8 Nineteen Eighty-Four George Orwell
8 His Dark Materials Philip Pullman
10 Great Expectations Charles Dickens
11 Little Women Louisa M Alcott

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home