Monday, February 26, 2007

MIT to bar rehearsals of non-MIT groups

On the heels of the arrest of 2 student "hackers" casing an MIT building in the wee hours for one of the traditional pranks, comes news via the grapevine of a clash between MIT security and a small theatre company that was "borrowing" rehearsal space. This was in one of the areas where such activity has gone on for decades tolerated by the Powers That Be. No More-- MIT will be cracking down. Playwrights, directors, and actors are in distress, exchanging emails....


I haven't taken part in a "squatters" rehearsal at MIT for years--
but I've been in dozens of not-quite-kosher new play rehearsals there
over my long non-profit "career". Playwrights Platform's Festivals
in the 70s and 80s were quite dependent on lobby space and empty
classrooms, which some members who worked at MIT tipped us off
about. I've always loved MIT for its openness and hospitality to
homeless arts groups--- and to gamers and folk dancers and..... My
kids spent many happy days & nights playing there, and made lifelong
friends. When my first husband had a job with one of the Labs, I'd
hang out on the lawn or the student union and have fascinating
conversations with students and faculty from all over the world.
I worked for a while at Harvard. There I was constantly carded for
my employee ID, snubbed, patronized, turned down..... no starving
artist squatters allowed! No world famous professors chatting with
the help.

Please, everyone: be grateful and gracious to MIT-- for old times sake.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home