Friday, January 20, 2006

StageBlog-G.L.Horton

StageBlog-G.L.Horton

Today was not a good day. I guess it started last night, with my disappointment with Aquila's HAMLET. I had been reading about the company on the Net for a number of years, and had the impression that their work would resemble that of Shakespeare & Co. of Lenox MA. I've been a fan of Tina Packer and her S&C ensemble for more than 20 years-- particularly of her Bare Bones approach, with minimal set, simple costumes, full-out physical expression, and virtuoso doubling. There were some similarities at Aquila, but even what was well done seemed mis-applied. Laughs in the wrong places! There were odd cuts in the text, and the cast fluffed a few famous lines-- ones that appear in Bartlett's Quotations. I found it somewhat interesting that the production included a Bad Quarto scene with the Queen and Horatio. I'm pleased to have seen it: but it was Bad Bad Bad, and I don't ever want to see it again! Got home around midnight, and tried to blog then, but couldn't remember how to get started....

This morning I slept too late. Obsessed over the political blogs. Read my email. Then when I finally got out of the house, I hit a pot hole or a curb and destroyed one tire and damaged another. Recovering from that and getting new tires used up the rest of the day, and now all I want to do is crawl into bed with an amusing book. I'll just blog a little bit, and then go over my lines like a good actor before going to sleep. I probably won't blog at all tomorrow, or even read email. I must be on the road early for the trip to the MARTHA MITCHELL rehearsal in Gloucester.

One good thing: Stagepage.info had another 1,500 visitor day! I hope a reasonable percentage of those visitors found a play they wanted to read...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home